How To Find The Best Curling Irons For Short Hair: Our Top 5 Picks
Short hair is in fashion this season, and shoulder length bobs are seriously on trend. Of course, you might not always want your hair to be straight, what about choice and flexibility? If that sounds like your quandary, you’ll probably have looked into ways to curl shorter or mid-length hair.
Long hair is obviously much easier to curl, but with the right equipment and products, shorter hair can be as curly or wavy as you want it to be. Finding the best equipment is therefore the key.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Short Hair Curling Irons – What You Need To Know
The efficiency of how you curl your hair really depends on three main factors:
- The type of hair you have
- The type of curling irons you use
- The products you use to help the curl form and hold
As you can see, there is nothing in there about the length of your hair! As long as you have enough hair for the curling tongs to hold and form the curl, there is no reason you can’t have a change of style from time to time.
The technique for curling shorter hair isn’t that much different to curling longer hair, but there are a few things you need to know. Check out this video for a visual pointer.
>>> Step 1 – For the curl to hold, you first need to prepare your hair. Some state that curling your hair on the day you have washed and conditioned it isn’t the best way, because the curl doesn’t hold as well, but others have success with this; again, it’s down to the type of hair you have, and what works best for you, so experimental! In order to make sure, you should flatten down any kinks or cowlicks, straighten any areas to give you a plain working foundation.
>>> Step 2 – Now you need to apply the product, to ensure that the curl not only takes, but also stays in place for a longer amount of time than just a few minutes. You can use a small amount of mousse or styling gel here, before spraying on some heat protection product – this is a vital step that shouldn’t be missed, as your hair will burn and become very damaged if you don’t protect against the heat you’re going to be subject to it directly
>>> Step 3 – Now it’s time to curl your hair. Pre-heat your curling irons according to instructions, remember to use a heat protection mat, to look after your work surfaces and table tops.
>>> Step 4 – Section your hair and take the first section, wrap it around the curling iron, starting at the root. How many times you wrap it around depends on the tightness of the curl you’re looking to achieve – if you’re going for a wave, only wrap a couple of times, and start a little lower down the hair shaft, perhaps in the mid-section; if you’re going for a more pronounced curl, wrap it around more times – also leave a little length at the end of the curl which is straight, to avoid awkward sticking out sections. Remember to curl away from the face, and hold the curling iron downwards, to give you a straight curl/wave. Hold for no more than 15 seconds, with 10 seconds being the average. Check this video for a few pointers.
>>> Step 5 – If you are using a curling iron which has a clamp, make sure you clamp the hair around a half inch from the bottom of the strand, and then roll upwards.
What You Need To Look For When Purchasing Best Curling Irons For Short Hair
The market is flooded with options, so you need to know that you’re choosing the right product, as well as ticking the boxes for everything you need. On average, these areas are what you should be looking at:
- The size of the barrel – Shorter hair responds better to a thinner barrel, so this is something you need to look at. A diameter of around ¾” is ideal for very short hair, with ½” being suitable for shoulder length hair.
- The shape of the barrel – For those on trend cylinder curls or waves, go for a cylindrical barrel shape. If you want tighter curls, go for a reverse cone shape.
- Material – You will see ceramic and titanium most often, because they are the best material for conducting heat and distributing it evenly. Frizz-free styles are also easily achieved with this material, because of the negative ions.
- Temperature control adjust feature – Look for products which have at least three different temperature settings you can use; different types of hair respond to different heats, e.g. thin hair is going to be easier to be damaged with high temperatures than thicker hair.
- Brand name – There’s no denying that big brand names in the hair and beauty world will give you more confidence in your purchase. These may be a little bit higher in price, but the warranty, quality, and peace of mind are worth it.
Now we know what we’re looking for a product, let’s check out some reviews of the best curling irons for short hair, to help you in your search!
Best Curling Irons For Short Hair – Reviews 2017
Revlon is a big named brand, so as we mentioned in our ‘what to look for’ section, this gives you peace of mind in your purchase. You’re also looking at a mid-priced range product here.
- Clipless titanic wand which means an easier to use product, helping to create curls and waves
- Titanic plate for negative ions and even heat distributions – cuts down on frizz and ensures a curl/wave forms all the way down the hair shaft you emit the heat to
- Constant heat sensor monitors the overall temperature and tops up or reduces the heat accordingly
- Dual voltage, so you can use the product all over the world – ideal for holiday hair styles!
- Protection features include an extra long tip which is always cool, and a heat resistant glove
- Not the cheapest curling iron out there, so if you’re on a budget you might look towards something cheaper
- If you are only going to be curling/waving your hair occasionally, this might be a little too high-tech for your needs
- No variable temperature settings – just an on and off function
This is a clamp-style of curling iron, which gives ease of use and more control over your curl and wave formation. The brand might not be the biggest name, but it is a very highly thought of product, with constant 5 star reviews by those who choose to purchase it.
- Clamp section allows you to hold the end of the hair in place whilst forming the curl or wave
- Cuts down on the chances of burning your hands by using the clamp feature
- Bio ceramic heater ensures the style is formed with even temperature throughout
- Mineral complex infusion within the plate means less frizz, and more moisture retained in your hair, creating shine
- Temperature control function, so you have more control over the heat you choose
- Quite an expensive choice, especially considering the brand isn’t a household name
- This product is often used by hair stylists, so again, if you aren’t curling your hair on a constant basis, it may be more than you need
BaByliss is certainly a brand name you can trust, and this particular product comes in three different sizes, all at a great price. Of course, BaByliss also have a great range of other hair styling products which work in conjunction, so this is something you could add to your collection.
- Big named brand, and also comes with manufacturer warranty, in case of an issue
- Available in three different sizes – 1”, 1 ¼”, 1 ½”, meaning any length of hair can create waves and curls
- Attractive blue and silver design
- The titanium surface is infused with negative ions, to reduce frizz and increase shine, no matter whether creating curls or waves
- Infra-red heat which is designed to go deep into the hair shaft
- Some reviews state that the product isn’t that long lasting, which could be concern for regular users who want reliability
This particular curling iron is a ‘wand’ style, which means you wrap your hair around it manually and hold the end to form the curl or wand, wearing the protective glove to avoid burns. This is a very attractive designed product.
- Attractive, sleek design
- Available in three sizes – 1”, 1 ½”, cone shaped, for flexibility for all hair lengths
- No clip lines from a clamp
- Ceramic wand protects the hair and smooths the hair shaft, to eliminate frizz
- Comes with free safety glove for protection against burns
- Auto shut off safety feature for peace of mind
- 9 foot cord which is swivel type
- High price, therefore many users would decide to go for a cheaper option, for the same level of quality
- If you are a new user, you may find a clamp style of curling iron easier to use, and cheaper in price
This particular curling iron is ideal for those on a budget, whilst also giving fantastic results.
- Low price, this means that this particular product is accessible to all
- Available in four different sizes, including 1 ½”, 1 ¼”, ½” and regular ¾” – as the size increases, so does the price, but only slightly
- Clamp-style curling iron, so ideal for those who are new to the curling/wave process, as it is easier to use
- High heat and even distribution for long-lasting results
- Patented Pulse Technology for Gets Hot Stays Hot Performance – this means fast heat up and heat recovery, which goes up to a huge 430 F
- Variable heat settings
- Rheostat control dial for different hair types
- If you prefer a standard curling ‘wand’, this is going to be a difficult to use product for you
- You may find it difficult to decide which size to go for
There are many curling irons on the market, but not all of them are ideal for shorter hair styles; with that in mind, these five products are ideal, whichever you choose. A few of them are available in different sizes, which is a bonus – short hair can be anything from very short to shoulder length!
To name a clear winner is difficult, but in terms of price and performance, the BIO IONIC Goldpro Curling Iron just shades it. The downside of this is the price, but if you’re going with the idea that you get what you pay for, there is some argument to make an investment. The fact that you also have several temperature controls means that you have more say over how much heat your hair will be subjected to.
As a runner up, we would have to go with the BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron. This is a great choice for peace of mind in terms of brand name, and also for the price. A few reviews do state that the curling iron doesn’t stand the test of time, but these suggestions are few and far between; for a good all-rounder, this is a definite close runner up.
Our suggestions for the best curling irons for short hair are all fantastic suggestions in their own right, and it really comes down to budget and personal preference over which one you will opt for in the end. Whichever you go for, remember to always use a heat protection product on your hair before applying heat, as well as using a heat protection glove, to avoid any nasty burns.
We hope you enjoyed the article! If you have any more reviews on the best curling irons for short hair, then do comment down below. We would love to hear what you have to think.