5 Of The Best Flat Iron For Thin Hair 2019 – Reviews And Top Picks
"Best flat iron for thin hair". When you have thin hair, styling becomes that little bit more tricky. Not only do you need to try and boost your hair with extra volume, but you also need to be careful that you’re not over-styling, or adding too much heat, which will create damage.
Thin hair is basically the total polar opposite to thicker hair types, because there is a little less of it generally, and it also contains much less volume. This means that instead of boosting outwards to create the illusion of thickness, it tends to hang downwards. Of course, thin hair can be a blessing and it can look fantastic, but you need to know how to look after it, as well as how to style it too.
For this reason, the best flat iron for thin hair is something you need to be on the search for. Having a high quality product in your styling armoury will certainly give you more control over your hair styling needs, and protect your locks for much longer against damage too.
Best Flat Iron For Thin Hair Reviews
BaByliss is a massive name in the hair care and beauty world, which gives you instant peace of mind, but this particular product is ideal for styling thin hair. The 1” plate gives you extra control, and allows you to reach more difficult to style areas with ease.
- 1” plate is ideal for styling thinner hair, as well as fringes and harder to reach areas
- Extra long plates (5”) means that they give you extra control over your styling, and again, helps you to reach harder parts of your style
- Maximum heat of 450 degrees, with increments to control the heat
- Lightweight and easy to use·
- Made of nano titanium for high quality heat delivery and maintenance
- Some users state that the extra long plates can make them difficult to use on certain hair styles, e.g. short, thin hair
This particular best flat iron for thin hair is an easier to handle product, because whilst it still has the 1” plate thickness that is ideal for this type of hair styling, it feels slightly more bulky to hold, which can often be easier when styling, especially for first time users.
- Easy to handle and use design
- 1” plate width
- Can be used to curl hair as well as straighten
- 5 heat control settings
- There are five heat control settings, but these are pre-programmed, so you can’t choose a middle of the road setting and make it bespoke
This particular flat iron is not only easy on the bank balance, at a low cost, but it comes with very highly regarded reviews too, for extra peace of mind. The 3D floating tourmaline ceramic plates ensure that heat is evenly distributed, which helps cut down on damage, and the 1” plate size gives you extra control over your styling.
- 1” plate size for easier styling
- Low price and quality reviews
- Large temperature range, from 285 – 450 degrees F
- Auto shut off feature for safety
- Designed specifically for thin hair
- If you prefer a big named brand, this particular product might not give you the confidence you require
This particular product certainly looks the part, but it is low in cost too, which is an added bonus! The 1” plate is again ideal for thinner hair types and shorter styles too, and the digital display helps you find the ideal heat setting for your hair.
- Attractive design
- Low cost
- Infrared heat technology means that the heat is evenly distributed, but moisture is also locked, in to protect the hair and hydrate it
- Fast heat up, heats up in 30 seconds
- Heat recovery capacity
- Some users state that the slim-line design can be tricky to hold when styling
This is another attractively designed flat iron for thin hair, and is also at a low price. The flat iron includes ionic technology, to lock in moisture and cut out the chances of frizz, which can be a very real problem with thinner hair types and heat styling.
- Dual voltage, making this a good flat iron for travel
- Attractive and lightweight design
- Ultra long plates to get to harder to reach areas
- 1” plate size, ideal for thinner hair types
- Fast heat up
- Again, a longer hair plate is an advantage in some ways, but if you have shorter hair, this can be difficult to manoeuvre and use
How To Choose The Best Flat Iron For Thin Hair
There are certain elements you need to be on the lookout for when you’re purchasing the best flat iron for thin hair. This is not just any old flat iron, because if you go with a plate that is too wide, you’re not going to be able to style your hair properly, and if you go for a heat which is too high, you’re going to damage your locks too. The following are therefore areas you need to pay attention to.
1. Plate Width
Ideally, you should look for a plate width of 1 – 1.5”. This means that you can style sections much more easily and effectively, without having kinks or missed sections. Wider plates are much better suited to thicker hair types.
2. Plate Material
Not only do you need to think about the size of the plates, but you should think about the material of the flat iron plates too, because this is where heat damage can occur if you’re not savvy. Ceramic or titanium plates are the most common types on the market today, however there are some higher priced products which have cushioned plates with bioceramic heaters included.
This basically means that the plate is conducting the right amount of heat, but it is protecting your hair from touching the direct heat also. This is vital with thin hair types, which are more prone to damage. These types of material also distribute the heat evenly, without hotspots.
3. Maximum Heat And Control
You should always go for a flat iron product which has the ability to turn up or down the heat; if you go for a one heat product, you’re probably going to end up with heat-related damage.
Most generic flat irons for thin hair these days have a maximum heat of around 400 – 410 degrees Fahrenheit, and there should be the ability to turn this right down in increments. Having the ability to control the heat means that you are again cutting down on damage potential.
Obviously, it is a good idea to shop around for the best deal, and online is usually where you will find the lowest prices on the big brand names. A good quality flat iron shouldn’t break the bank, but you will find that you pay a little extra for quality – always a good thing!
And The Winner Is …
Whilst all of our product choices are ideal options for anyone who has thin or fine hair, opting for a big named brand is often the way to go if you want to ensure you have confidence in your purchase. With that in mind, the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron is our top choice.
This particular product has the 1” plates that are best for fine or thin hair, but it has temperature control, high heat settings if required, and it is easy to use and style. All of this adds up to a top quality purchase, at a very reasonable price indeed.
In order to find the best flat iron for thin hair, you need to shop around and make sure that you try before you buy. Everyone’s hair is different, and that is where reviews will come in very useful, to help you make your decision.
When it comes to how to choose the "best flat iron for thin hair", always make sure that you can control the heat to your particular liking. Thin hair is much more susceptible to heat damage and frizzing than any other type of hair, so for that reason, ionic technology is a good go-to, but at the very least, temperature control settings as a must have option when making a purchasing decision.