Top 5 Best Mini Flat Iron 2019 : All You Need To Know
"Best Mini Flat Iron". When you are on the go, either out and about or travelling, the chances of having a minor hair disaster are quite high. Humidity, rain, general air con problems, these all can cause issues with your hair style, whether male or female. Whilst a brush can do a lot of good, it won’t hold the style in place for longer than a few minutes, not with the help of a rather large dose of hairspray, which is not something you may have handy in your bag!
For this reason, a mini flat iron is a great investment to take with you, wherever you go. These products are small, compact, lightweight, and they fit easily into a small bag, without you even noticing the extra weight or bulk. The best mini flat iron products also have several heat settings, and they are ideal for travel, often with dual voltage, to ensure that you don’t have power outage issues.
Of course, you might have a few questions about the best mini flat iron for you, and you might even have a few questions about what this product is! For that reason, consider this your go-to guide on everything mini flat iron related.
Top 5 Best Mini Flat Iron Reviews
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
BaByliss is a big named brand in the beauty world, and that is a major bonus for those who like a peace of mind in their purchases. This isn’t the cheapest best mini flat iron on our list, but it certainly isn’t expensive either, and it comes in a pretty baby blue colour shade. You can choose between two different plate sizes, namely 1” and 0.5”, depending on your hair type, to personalise your styling to your particular needs.
- Two different plate styles to give you personalised styling
- Good priced product
- High profile brand name to give you confidence
- Attractive design
- Titanium plates for sleek styling
- Many users prefer ceramic or tourmaline plates
- Non-adjustable heat setting
This is a very highly rated mini flat iron, which makes it a contender for the overall best mini flat iron choice! Available only in black, the thin plates are ideal for those with thinner hair or shorter styles, as well as for styling baby hair which is close to the scalp. This is a very lightweight and ergonomically designed product also, which makes it super-easy to use, even for those who aren’t used to such hair styling tools.
- Tourmaline plates which give proven silky smooth results
- Very lightweight
- Ergonomic, non-slip design makes it easy to use
- Warms up to 356 degrees Fahrenheit very fast
- Small and ideal for travel
- Non-variable heat control
This option for the best mini flat iron crown is super-low in the price, which makes it affordable for all, and it is a very highly rated product too. The sleek appearance is a major plus point, but the performance is what makes it stand apart. The plates are ceramic and offer smooth and static-free styles, either straightening, curling, waving, or flicking, whatever you want it to do!
- Very low price to suit all
- Ceramic plates ensure no cold spots, and therefore even distribution of heat across the hair length
- Sleek appearance to the product
- Negative ions mean no frizz or static
- Very easily portable and lightweight
- Only one heat setting, which may be an issue for those with thin or fragile hair
This is one of the best mini flat iron choices because of its high review performance, as well as being low in the price too. The flat iron comes with an included travel bag, which makes it all so much easier to transport, as well as being dual voltage. This is therefore an ideal product for those who travel a lot, wanting high quality results on the go.
- Included travel bag
- Comes in three different colour options
- Dual voltage makes it ideal for travel
- Tourmaline plates which distribute heat evenly
- Ergonomic design makes it slip-free and easy to use, even for beginners
- Heats up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Again, only an on and off setting, no variable heat choice on this product, which could be an issue for some users
You might not have heard about this brand name very widely, but it is very up and coming, and has extremely high reviews in terms of this particular product. The low price is very attractive, but the performance is what sells it overall. This particular product has a few added extras, which aren’t really noticeable in some of the other products we have reviewed so far, and that makes it stand out from the crowd.
- Very low price makes it affordable for all
- High reviews
- Heats up to 410 degrees Fahrenheit in one minute
- Ergonomically designed for easy use and comfort
- 3D floating panel adjust to your hair thickness automatically
- Long swivel cord for ease of use when travelling
- Some users prefer a recognisable brand name
What Is A Mini Flat Iron?
The clue is really in the title, but a mini flat iron is a small and compact hair straightening tool, which can also be used to tame small pieces of hair, such as bangs or flyaway strands, whilst also being useful for small curls. All of this styling is easily done on the go, e.g. at work, for travel, or anywhere else that basically isn’t home!
Mini flat irons were really invented for two main reasons – firstly, they were designed to offer a travel-easy solution for men and women who travel a lot, or who want to have an easily portable hair styling tool with them at all times. Secondly, they were designed to reach smaller pieces of hair which sit close to the hairline, because the plates are thinner and smaller, hence the name ‘mini’.
One of the main perks of a mini flat iron is that if you have baby hair, or your hair is typically fragile, the thinner and smaller plate will actually help you to avoid overheating and over-styling, protecting the hair and helping it stay as strong as it can possibly be. You can also choose between two different plate styles, namely ceramic vs tourmaline, and both have their pros and cons.
The best mini flat iron choices are also mainly optimised for travel, so they will have dual voltage, and they will have long, swivel cords for easy use in places where you might not have easy access to a plug socket. The higher quality products also have several heat settings, as well as extras, such as power shut off technology after a certain length of time left idle, and fast heat up times.
How To Use A Mini Flat Iron
Using a mini flat iron is no different to using a regular flat iron, or pair of hair straighteners, and many people find them easier to use because they are smaller and therefore easier to hold and manoeuvre.
- This video will show you how easy it is to use a mini flat iron to curl the hair, and the thinner plate is ideal for giving you smaller curls, which is ideal for shorter hairstyles.
- On the other hand, if you need a few hints and tips to help you on your way, this particular video will also show you how versatile a mini flat iron can be; this is not just for straightening, this is for tidying up styles, straightening, flicks, and curling too!
Remember these must-dos when using any heat styling tools, especially flat irons:
- You can use flat irons on damp hair
- Remember to always use heat protection product, e.g. spray or cream, to provide a barrier between the hair and the heated tool
- Don’t automatically use the highest setting, find a heat setting which works for your hair, without causing damage
- Allow the flat iron to heat up properly before using it
- Always remember to switch off the flat iron after use!
- It’s also a good idea to purchase a heat protecting pad for your work surfaces, to prevent burns or damage over time
- You should only leave your hair inside the flat irons for no more than around 5-7 seconds, and anything more than this will cause damage. If your hair is thick, it may take up to 10 seconds
Hair damage is caused by the overuse of heat styling tools, so remember to try and give your hair a break between styling sessions, perhaps leaving it ‘au natural’ every few days.
What To Look For When Purchasing The Best Mini Flat Iron For Your Needs
The best mini flat iron for your needs will live up to several different requirement areas:
> Price – The product you choose needs to fit in with your budget. There is a range of different products across a large price range, so this is something you need to explore.·
> Brand name – Some people prefer to go for a large brand name, because this gives them confidence in their purchase. This doesn’t mean that lesser known names are lesser in quality, but this is something which many find important.·
> Voltage – Does the product have dual voltage for ease of travel? If you’re not planning on travelling with your flat iron, this won’t be a problem, but if you are then this is an important consideration to think about.·
> Length of the cord – Does the cord of a long length and swivel mechanism? This makes using the flat iron much easier if the mirror is a length away from the plug socket.·
> How many heat settings – Lesser priced products tend to have one setting, e.g. on and off, but if you spend a little more you may find more options available, which gives you less chance of damaging your hair with a too high heat setting.·
> Plate type – Are you opting for ceramic or tourmaline? It might not mean much to you, but it really depends on the type of hair you have, in terms of which is best for you.·
> Added extras – Does the product have an automatic shut off after the flat iron has been idle for a certain length of time? Does it have any other extras which make it stand out from the other products on the market in a similar price range? If you can get more for your money then this is always something to look for.
And The Overall Winner Is …
The choice for the best mini flat iron is very close, as all our five products are fantastic in their own right, but one does stand out slightly. The winner is ‘only just’ but it would have to be the biggest brand name on the list, the BaByliss Nano Titanium Mini Straightening Iron.
The name says it all, and this gives you confidence, but the lightweight, sleek design makes using the flat iron ultra-easy, and therefore gives you more control over the hair style you create.
Overall, a mini flat iron is always a great investment, because it offers flexibility in styling, as well as ease of use when you are on the go, either travelling or simply to have in your bag when you go to work.
Always look for a dual voltage product if you are looking to go overseas with your hair styling tool, as this will cut out any issues in terms of whether it works, or how well it works overall.
>>> Read More:
>>> Related Post: