How To Get Rid Of Black Lines On Nails: The Easy Ways!
"How to get rid of black lines on nails?". Your fingernails can tell a lot about your health. It can also show how hygienic you are!
You'll be surprised to know that your fingernails aren't just a part of your body, but they can also show signs of diseases or infections you don't know about.
If you have noticed black lines around your nails, you might have been worried about what it means. There are various causes as to why you might be getting these lines, and fortunately, ways on how to remove them.
So if you're wondering how to get rid of black lines on nails, read on as I show you all about these lines and what you can do to get it out.
What Are Black Lines On Nails?
You'll need to take care of your whole body, as it keeps you looking and feeling healthy. From straightening your eyelashes down to using foot spas, it's important to practice good hygiene and eat the right things.
But even if you do follow that, you might have noticed weird symptoms, namely the black lines on your nails!
There are different types of black lines you see. Usually, it's a single line or streak, running down your nail. It can be horizontal or vertical, looking like you just ran a pencil through it.
Its size and thickness would vary, but they all have the similar dark shade that makes it look suspicious.
You can find these black lines on any of your nails, may it be on your fingers or toes. The position and size of these black lines are a crucial factor as to defining what your body has, so it's best to have it checked immediately, just in case.
Causes Of Black Lines On Nails
But WHY do you have black lines on your nails in the first place?
Common (and Safe) Causes
Sometimes, your nails may be black because of a nutritional deficiency. It can also be related to fungal infections from poor hygiene or being exposed to dirty surroundings.
Or, you might have incurred an injury, such as hitting hard surfaces or squishing your fingernails between a door. Other times, it might just be an accidental black line drawn with a marker or pencil!
When It's No Cause for Alarm
There are times that there is no reason for alarm, as black lines can appear as you age and are also more common in dark-skinned people. It happens during pregnancy as well, with it being normal because of the hormonal changes.
When Black Lines Become More Serious
As for the more severe conditions, a black line is a common symptom of melanoma. This is when your body produces too many melanocytes, and it can appear around your body other than the nails. While they aren't malignant, they should be checked out.
But no matter the skin color, age, or complexion, it's still best to check it out with a medical professional if it isn't just an accidental pencil mark. Do NOT cover it up and hide it!
How To Get Rid Of Black Lines On Nails?
If you're wondering what to do to get rid of these black lines, here are the three things you should follow if the causes aren't serious:
Changing Your Diet
You may just be deficient in nutrients that come from healthy food and supplements. So it's all about eating the right food and supplements!
What You Need:
- Healthy food such as dark greens, eggs, fish
- Vitamin supplements, especially iron, zinc, and vitamin C (lack of any of these nutrients cause different-colored nails)
How To Proceed:
1. Create a proper meal plan that focuses around getting the enough protein and healthy fats. Be sure to search up on the recommended daily amounts of all nutrients, as too much is also bad. Avoid any refined sugar or junk.
2. Follow the meal plan along with taking your supplements upon waking up.
Treating Fungus Or Infections
Here's a home remedy you can follow to remove fungus and the black lines on your nails:
What You Need:
- Quarter cup of baking soda
- A cup of apple cider vinegar
- Bowl and paper towels
How To Proceed:
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Soak the affected nails for about fifteen minutes.
3. Pat your nails dry with soft paper towels. Repeat this twice a day to remove the fungus while preventing it from growing again.
Here’s a video explaining how to remove fungus:
Removing A Foreign Body In Your Nail
If you have a black line on your nail because of a splinter, then you need to take it out before it gets deeper. If ever it's too deep, consult a doctor for them to remove it.
What You Need:
How To Proceed:
1. Disinfect your hands and nails.
2. With the tweezers, slowly get the foreign material and pull it out of your nail.
3. Once it's out, wash your hands and apply a bandage in case of bleeding.
If ever you have injured your nails, then you will simply need to wait it out until the black lines heal themselves. Clean and change its bandages at least once a day.
Like mentioned, having black lines on nails can be dangerous. If you still have the black lines after seven weeks, then it's best to see a professional to diagnose the problem and prescribe you the proper treatments and medication to help you get better.
Observe your nail health and your body as well, especially for black moles that may be a sign of skin cancer.
Tips On Maintaining Your Nail Health
>>> Read more: Nail Treatments at Aurora
Now that you know how to get rid of black nails, how can you maintain your nail and body health? Here are some tips you can follow to ensure that your nails are healthy and free from marks:
- Always practice good hygiene. Keep your nails clean and dry to avoid growing bacteria. Trim your nails once every few days. It's best to avoid making it too long.
- Avoid using very harsh products that would destroy our nails. As much as possible, use natural nail products and if you are handling chemicals, use protective gloves.
- Apply moisturizers and protective layers on your nails to keep it hydrated and protected, preventing easy breakage.
- If you must ask your doctor about supplements, you can take to strengthen your weak or brittle nails, like biotin.
- Following a proper diet and exercise while continuing any medication your doctor prescribed for you will also help keep your nails healthy as well, gradually removing the black lines.
When it comes to taking care of your body, your nails are included as well! It's crucial to follow a healthy diet and hygiene habits to keep your body and nails looking and feeling healthy.
If you do see black lines on your nails, then it may mean something and that you should check yourself not only to look good but feel great as well.
I hope that this article helped you become more knowledgeable about how to get rid of black lines on nails. Now that you know what black lines on nails make sure to have your nails checked and find the real cause to avoid it from getting worse.
If you have any questions or would like to share your experiences about black lines on nails, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.
| Read More: