Facial Cleansing 101: The Whys and Hows of Face Cleaning
Many skin care products have appeared on the market nowadays. The internet is going gaga over massage oils and various moisturizers that beauty experts swear by. However, at the root of every skin care routine is the most basic step that you should never forget about: cleansing.
An excellent skin care routine focuses on proper skin cleansing. You may pile on makeup everyday, but a fresh, clean base will always matter. Beauty experts will agree that using cleansers and face cleaning products will do wonders for your skin.
Why is Facial Cleansing Important?
You may have heard of this since you were in your teens, and your mom is yelling at you to wash your face before you go to sleep. You may have heard of it from a beauty expert that you have always admired.
Well, these people were right all along. Washing your face is indeed very essential to achieving a healthy glow. But why exactly is cleansing that important?
- It removes dirt and oil buildup.Cleansing gets rid of oil, dirt, and skin debris on the skin. Everyday, dirt and oil accumulate on the surface of the skin. Without proper cleansing, this debris will cover the skin and prevent other products from penetrating the skin.
- It boosts hydration. Proper cleansing, accompanied by the use of a good moisturizer, helps the skin maintain hydration. Dehydrated skin looks rough and dry. Cleansing helps rid of this problem by managing your skin’s PH levels, enabling sufficient water retention.
- It maintains clear skin. The small glands under the skin produce sebum (oil) to protect the skin from bacteria. To reach the skin’s surface, these glands use hair follicles as a pathway. When the skin is covered with dirt, these hair follicles get blocked, trapping the debris inside. Since the sebum cannot reach the skin, bacteria can easily penetrate the skin, causing inflammation and acne.
- It helps beauty products penetrate the skin properly. There’s a reason why cleansing is the first step. If the base is dirty, your skin will not be able to absorb your favorite beauty products well.
- It will help you look younger for a longer time. Cleansing before bedtime helps halt external factors that speed aging. When the skin is left dirty at night, it blocks the body’s natural exfoliating process. This will leave your skin looking old and dull.
- It helps you achieve tighter pores. When dirt and makeup are left on the face, they seep down and clog pores. As we age, collagen formation declines, and the pores do not resume their original size when they become enlarged.
What happens when you skip facial cleansing?
Skipping this step will only bring disaster to your skin. If you keep on skipping it, your pores will clog up, resulting in serious acne formation. Your skin will develop itchiness, redness, and irritation due to dehydration. And because your skin doesn’t receive adequate hydration, it will appear rough, dry, and oily. Your skin will age so much faster!
Common Mistakes that People Commit when Cleansing the Face
You might already have a skin care routine that you regularly follow. Are you sure that you’re doing it correctly?
Here are some mistakes people usually make when they’re cleansing:
- Skipping cleansing in the morning. As you sleep, the bacteria on your pillowcase move to your face. The oils from your face also transfer to your face. A quick cleanse in the morning will not only remove dirt, it will also help your skin soak up your favorite moisturizers better.
- Using a face cleanser as a makeup remover. You should never rely on your cleanser to remove your makeup. Many makeup items are smudgeproof, waterproof; thus making them difficult to remove. It’s best to remove makeup with oil or micellar water, or other makeup removers, before cleansing. Read more: Korean Cleansing Oil.
- Cleaning the face with just a makeup remover. It’s just not good enough. Although they do remove makeup effectively, they leave a residue on your skin. Make sure that you cleanse your face after removing your makeup.
- Using a regular bar soap to clean the face. These harsh cleansers remove the natural hydrators of the skin.
- Reusing washcloths. It’s just like using the same napkin to wipe your mouth several times. The dirt sticks to the cloth, and if you’re using the same washcloth again and again, you’re just returning the dirt to your face.
- Using a body towel for your face. You’re transferring the bacteria from your body to your face. Use a face towel instead.
- Using the wrong cleanser. The wrong cleanser will worsen your skin problems, so make sure that you’re using the right cleanser for your skin type.
What to Look for in a Cleanser
For an effective facial cleansing routine, you need the right face cleaning products. You should should look for the cleanser that is appropriate for your skin type.
Here are some tips you need to consider when looking for a cleanser:
- Know your skin type. Your skin may be oily, dry, or a combination of both. You need to know your skin type and consider it when you buy any products. If your skin is oily, buying a cleanser that is formulated for dry skin will just aggravate the condition, vice versa. If you have sensitive skin, you need a product that has little additives.
- Consider the preparation of the cleanser you will purchase. Keep in mind that cream-based cleansers are for dry skin, while gel-type cleansers are best for oily skin.
- Take your activities into consideration.
- If you use makeup regularly, opt for a cleanser that can effectively remove makeup residue.
- If you work out and sweat a lot, find a cleanser that targets clogged pores.
- If you have allergies, look for a product that has no artificial ingredients.
How to Properly Cleanse the Face
Cleansing the face is more than just wetting your skin and applying your cleanser. How you wash your face matters a lot.
Here are some of the tips that experts want you to follow:
- Use lukewarm water. Hot water dries the face, while the myth about cold water tightening your pores is just that: a myth. Your safest bet is tepid water.
- Apply your cleanser with your fingertips. Sponges and other types of cloth will only irritate your skin.
- Do NOT scrub your skin. Resist the temptation! Scrubbing your skin will do your skin more harm than good.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. Use a soft towel to dry your skin.
- Wash your face twice a day. Cleansing twice a day will do the trick.You can also wash after sweating too much.
Regular face cleansing, coupled with the right face cleaning products, will be highly beneficial to your skin. Always remember that cleansing is the key to having fresh, blemish-free skin, so do not skip this step! For that healthy glow you want to achieve, cleanse your skin regularly!