4 Ways To Achieve The Beautiful Smile You’ve Always Wanted
If you are ashamed to smile because your teeth’s appearance, you know how much this can crush your self-confidence. You might even be brushing and flossing every day, but you still feel like it’s just not enough to get completely white teeth.
If you are unhappy with your teeth, luckily you are not stuck with this issue for life. Teeth can be whitened and moved to create your ideal smile in these four ways! Perhaps you’re not taking advantage of one of the following tips:
4 Ways To Achieve The Beautiful Smile
1. Maintain Good Oral Hygiene
Before you can achieve a good-looking smile, you need healthy teeth and gums. A poorly maintained mouth makes you susceptible to cavities, staining, bad breath, and even tooth loss.
We all know the standard is to brush twice and floss once a day, but the following are additional tips to boost your oral hygiene routine:
- Floss before you brush. How many times have you brushed before bed and gone, “eh, my teeth feel clean, I don’t have to floss tonight”? Chances are if your floss first you aren’t going to go to bed and skip brushing. Also if flossing gives you a hard time, try flossing picks.
- Invest in a high-quality electric toothbrush and always try to brush for two minutes. When you quickly run a brush over your teeth you are missing spots that can develop into decay.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash to prevent cavities.
- According to Crescent dentists in Calgary you should visit your dental hygienist twice a year (or possibly more if you have gum disease). Hygienists use professional tools that remove built up decay, referred to as tartar, which cannot be removed at home. Most dental insurance plans cover bi-yearly cleanings.
2. Avoid Red Wine, Coffee and Tobacco
Yes, sadly all our vices in life come with a price. Red wine and coffee are dark and acidic, leading to stained teeth. Cutting back can help prevent yellowing teeth further, but giving up coffee and wine is an unimaginable feat for most.
After enjoying a nightly glass of wine or your morning coffee, rinse with water or mouthwash to prevent the beverages from sitting on your teeth for too long. Smoking and chewing tobacco is one of the largest inhibiters of a healthy smile. Sorry to say, but you should cut these habits out. Tobacco use can lead to staining, gum disease, tooth sensitivity, and oral cancer.
The first thing that comes to mind when you picture a perfect smile is pearly whites. Teeth naturally yellow as we age, and chances are anyone with porcelain teeth is using some sort of whitening product or treatment. If you want to whiten your smile you have several options.
- Over the counter white strips: Whitening strips are fairly inexpensive and relatively effective at whitening teeth. The drawbacks are they will not do much for more severe staining and can be damaging to your teeth. They seem harmless, but it is best to consult with your dentist before using white strips.
- Professional whitening: This is the most effective step you can take to whiten your teeth, but the treatment is expensive and not covered by insurance.
- At-home whitening: Falling in-between white strips and professional whitening in both effectiveness and cost are professional at-home whitening kits. They usually consist of a custom fit tray for your mouth and a strong concentration of a whitening agent. Treatment usually lasts around once a day for two weeks.
4. Fixing Crooked Teeth
If your teeth are crooked or you have large gaps, you may feel embarrassed to show your teeth. Invisalign has been growing in popularity among older teens and adults as the go-to choice for straightening teeth. It has a near-invisible appearance in the mouth.
Invisalign can be removed, so you can easily brush without having to avoid wires. If bite needs to be corrected or teeth are too crooked, sometimes braces are needed. Luckily, braces have changed a lot over the years. They now come in clear colors and are less noticeable then what you remember in middle school.
Try One of These Tactics Today
Anxiety about the appearance of your mouth can lead to self-consciousness about speaking and smiling, but with proper care and modern dentistry it is completely possible to transform the look of your teeth!
It is important to note: before aesthetics should even be considered it is important to take care of the health of your teeth. Teeth can be white and straight, but if they you have unhealthy gums and excessive decay that isn’t going to matter a whole lot when they start causing pain and falling out.